Skip to main content

No cash, no change: money in Istanbul

In Istanbul I often encounter cashiers and taxi drivers unprepared to give change. Sometimes I wonder how a business continues efficiently without a certain amount of cash on hand. It makes no sense why some people expect me to pay more to compensate for this cash flow problem. Plain awkward.

Never before in Istanbul have I felt so embarrassed than in the Taksim Square metro station. The public transport metro card machines only accept 5, 10, or 20 Turkish lira bills; they do not give change or accept bank cards. As I only have a 50 lira bill, I cannot top up my metro card. Although this system only gives limited options, suddenly it became my own damn fault. Silly card holder, you should have brought the exact bills before entering the metro!

If I could break the fifty into smaller denominations, then I could pay my fare. I try to buy a coffee from the coffee shop. Sorry, we do not have cash. I attempt to purchase a cherry juice at the bakery shop opposite. (Everywhere you turn, I swear, you can buy bread.) Sorry, try exiting the metro. Both shops only accept exact change for purchases. Neither carry cash. Brilliant.

Next, I try asking people lined up at the machines. Could you break my fifty? No luck. Who do you think I am, a piggy bank? Finally, I find my bank atm one floor below. I withdraw a 20 TL. I feed the machine and hear the recording of the Turkish lady trying to sound like a robot. Of course, she takes the entire amount without any additional options.

Living in Istanbul forces me to be even more prepared to compensate for situations like these. I plan to start breaking my large bills and amassing small bills. Hopefully, I can avoid this dilemma and others in the future. I will just have to start breaking these bills at the grocer. No doubt, he will ask me if I have any smaller denominations. Sorry, man, change is difficult.