Skip to main content

Listening practice stand-up comedy



I really enjoy laughing out loud with the students in the English course, İngilizce kurslariI like to find entertaining content to keep up student motivation. For example, my student E. usually listens to BBC Learning English podcasts because he would like to understand British accents. As a change of pace, this lesson focuses on the African American accent. Secondly, this lesson achieves the student's second goal to practice listening for emotion. What's better than listening to punch lines? I introduce my Turkish student to American stand-up comedy on Comedy Central. I encourage my students to listen to authentic recordings during our private English lessons, İngilizce özel ders. Hopefully, my student will continue to listen to stand-up comedy to practice English, İngilizce pratik.

Listen and fill the gaps. Write the answers in the comments below!

CC:Stand-Up: Maronzio Vance - Extreme Home Makeover

What show does the comedian watch?
What do the house owners in Detroit want?

Look, can you just ________ us?
I’m just saying, if that’s an ________.
If you are not going to do the ________ city, there’s no point.
If you’ve ever been to Detroit, then you ________ why I made that joke.
Let me ________ you how ________ Detroit looks.
If I was running the country and we were under alien attack, I would automatically say, “Let’s dub Detroit, Earth. That way when aliens land here…Oh, they already ________ this place over? Let’s ________ ________ of here. I’ll ________ you some money or something. They're ________ .”

For more English listening practice try the lesson for TED talks women leaders