Skip to main content

Tom's Diner, Suzanne Vega: NPR Music



Listen to the song and fill in the gaps with the following vocabulary:
English:

argue
begin
catch
come
continue
die
drink
feel
fill
finish
hear
hitch
kiss
listen
look
notice
open
pour
pretend
raise
say
see
shake
sit
straighten
think
try
turn
wait
watch
Turkish:

tartışmak
başlamak
yakalamak
gelmek
devam etmek
ölmek
içmek
hissetmek
doldurmak
bitirmek
duymak
...
öpmek
dinlemek
bakmak
fark etmeye
açmak
dökmek
davranmak
yükseltmek
demek
görmek
sallamak
oturmak
düzeltmek
düşünmek
denemek
çevirmek
beklemek
izlemek



"Tom's Diner" by Suzanne Vega

I am ……………
In the morning
At the diner
On the corner
I am ……………
At the counter
For the man
To ……………the coffee
And he ……………it
Only halfway
And before
I even ……………
He is ……………
Out the window
At somebody
……………in
"It is always
Nice to see you"
……………the man
Behind the counter
To the woman
Who has ……………in
She is ……………
Her umbrella
And I ……………
The other way
As they are ……………
Their hellos
I'm ……………
Not to ……………them
Instead
I ……………the milk
I ……………
Up the paper
There's a story
Of an actor
Who had ……………
While he was ……………
It was no one
I had ……………of
And I'm ……………
To the horoscope
And ……………
For the funnies
When I'm ……………
Someone ……………me
And so
I ……………my head
Oh, this rainIt will ……………
Through the morning
As I'm ……………
To the bells
Of the cathedral
I am ……………
Of your voice.
And of the midnight picnic
Once upon a time
Before the rain ……………
I ……………up my coffee
It's time to ……………the train

Listen again for the prepositions, pronouns, conjunctions, and adverbs:
English:

as
at
before
behind
cause
even
for
in
inside
instead
of
on
only
other
out
outside
really
so
that
through
to
up
upon
while
who
Turkish:

gibi
de
önce
arkasında
çünkü
hatta
için
içinde
içeride
yerine
arasında
üzerinde
sadece
diğer
dışarı
dışında
gerçekten
bu yüzden
ki
içinden
...
yukarı
üzerine
süre
kim

I am sitting
..... the morning
..... the diner
..... the corner
I am waiting
..... the counter
..... the man
To pour the coffee
And he fills it
.....  halfway
And .....
I .....  argue
He is looking
..... the window
..... somebody
Coming .....
"It is always
Nice to see you"
Says the man
..... the counter
..... the woman
Who has come .....
She is shaking
Her umbrella
And I look
The ..... way
..... they are kissing
Their hellos
I'm pretending
Not to see them
.....
I pour the milk
I open
..... the paper
There's a story
..... an actor
.....  had died
.....  he was drinking
It was no one
I had heard .....
And I'm turning
..... the horoscope
And looking
..... the funnies
When I'm feeling
Someone watching me
And .....
I raise my head
Oh, this rain
It will continue
..... the morning
..... I'm listening
..... the bells
..... the cathedral
I am thinking
..... your voice
And of the midnight picnic
Once ..... a time
..... the rain began...
I finish ..... my coffee
It's time to catch the train

Follow the beat and write out your own lyrics. Here are mine:
I am peeling 
A banana
As my friend 
Sings acapella
He is dancing 
To the tango
As I dream 
About a mango
Now he's strumming
His bass guitar 
To set the groove
In motion
And I'm jumping
On the dance floor
As the music's
Magic potion.