Skip to main content

Ekin Onat: Susuyorsam bir nedeni var / My silence has a reason

I learned some Turkish for describing the psychology of silence and crime while attending Ekin Onat's art exhibit "My silence has a reason" at the Merhart gallery in Tophane, Istanbul. Please write in the comments if you find mistakes in the translations.
Susuyorsam bir nedeni var.
My silence has a reason.




Çocuk istismarı din, gelenek, ülke, yaş, kültür farkı gözetmeksizin her yerde yaşanıyor.
Regardless of religion, tradition, country, age, and cultural differences, child rape is happening everywhere.

Tecavüze uğrayan çocukların çoğunluğu yaşadıklarının kendi hataları olduğunu düşündüğünden, ailesi tarafından bir daha istenilmeyeceğinden dolayı susuyor.
Since most children who are victims of rape believe their misfortune to be their own fault, they remain silent in fear of rejection from their families.

Yaşadığım kader değil.
What I've lived isn't my fate. I do not live my fate.

Yaşananlar kader değil.
What happens is not fate.

Olaylara tepki göstermeyen, suç işlenmektedir.
Do not be an accomplice through omission.

Nasıl söyebilirim?
How do I say?

en büyük yara olan çocuk tecavüzü konusuyla
about the most grievous topic of child rape

bu ayıp
this disgrace


tecavüz etmek
to rape

intihar etmek
to commit suicide

töre evliliği
traditional marriage

hükümetten ses
the voice of government

zihniyet
mentality

erkek egemen toplum
male-dominated society

rıza indirimi
penalty reduction (Turkey's legal view that assumes the victim consents to the rape when there is a lack of resistance)

kendi hataları
their mistakes

kader
fate

tepki
reaction, response

rüya ve kabus
dreams and nightmares

acı acı acı
bitter pain

uyuduğumda
when I sleep
Susuyorum.
I am silent.

İntihar susuyorum hayır.
Suicide silences me.

töre
tradition custom

Kusurlu sayıl diğim.
I am considered defective.

cinayet
murder

Pis kokan sırlarım var benim.
I have a stinky secrets.

Kiri sırlarım var benim.
I have a dirty secrets.

Suçlanacağım.
I will be accused.

Susturuluyorum.
I am silenced.

Bedenim bana ait.
My body belongs to me.