Skip to main content

where to post flyers in istanbul

I make flyers advertising my private English lessons with my contact information and a cartoon self-portrait. Turkish students like to see what their teacher looks like, but I do not feel comfortable with a photo. A cartoon feels like a compromise. Mostly, I search for bulletin boards and display spaces inside cafes around Beyoglu and Nisantasi. Unlike most other cafes, Starbucks usually has a display space -- either a bulletin board with push pins or a metallic board requiring tape -- above the counter with the sugar, cinnamon, and napkins. Sometimes I return to the same Starbucks weeks later only to discover my old flyer's still up with missing tabs. I feel encouraged knowing that cafe employees do not remove the flyer immediately and that people are interested in my lessons.

My students recommend that I post my flyers at the Macrocenter in Nisantasi. I find out through trial and error that the grocery store located in City's mall lacks any displace space. It turns out there's another Macrocenter located near Macka park. There a store employee hands me an index card and reads over my shoulder as I write a hand-written message "ingilizce dersleri" and my phone number. Then, he takes my card and pins it to the topmost column of a new row. The board looks as organized as those found in school hallways. I buy an ayran as a thank you, cheers!