Skip to main content

Dog walking in Tel Aviv


I recently moved from Turkey to Israel to start teaching private English lessons in Tel Aviv and Jerusalem. So why did I move to Israel? Well, three things happened in interesting timing: (1) my photojournalist boyfriend could no longer enter Turkey, most likely due to the crackdown on press freedom, (2) my residency permit was about to expire and I’d lost all motivation to pursue the renewal process, and (3) while debating the merits of Amsterdam and Taipei, a good friend invited me to watch his dog for a month in Tel Aviv. Quite simply, I moved to Israel for the love of an adorable mutt: Oscar the dog!

Oscar had won my heart months earlier when he flopped onto the floor for a belly rub. I instantly melted like butter on a sweet potato. This dog evokes great emotional intelligence, calm submission, and an immense sense of well-being. When he rests his head on my knee, I feel his empathy for an emotion I was previously unaware of feeling. He sends me good vibes when he licks my palms. Happy endorphins wash my brain. As his nose traces the air for invisible smells, his focus on the moment brings me inner peace. Wrestling and chasing other dogs, he shows me how to play and have fun. What a happy go lucky pooch! I wondered about the secrets to raising such a well-adjusted dog. I soon observed an entire community with close bonds to Oscar --- friends, neighbors, and dog walkers. I feel so much gratitude that I got an invite to dog sit in Tel Aviv. I won an Oscar!

While adjusting to Israel, I greatly enjoy comparing the lives of dogs in Istanbul and Tel Aviv. Well, Istanbul accommodates cats far better than dogs. While living in Istanbul, I walked Samba the Pomeranian and Morris the Pug whenever their expat owners traveled out of town. Protecting them, I watched out for cat claws and motorbikes on the sidewalks. Many Muslims expressed unease near the dogs, but others eagerly approached them for photos. Some respected dogs as neighborhood security. For example, at the end of each day, butchers tossed scraps of meat, fat, and bones to the street dogs. Animal-loving Turks called Samba their lamb, and offered him cheese and yoghurt. Unaccustomed to the pug face, some called Morris ugly. Turkish dog owners would allow their dogs to wander off leash near busy streets.

In contrast, Tel Aviv honors dogs with urban green space, including promenades, boardwalks, and parks. The urban plan designates open space for dogs to exercise and play. My favorite places for dog walking include (1) Rothschild Boulevard, (2) Meir Park on King George Street, and (3) Habima Square:

Rothschild Boulevard feels designed for people to say hello to each other. The safe, open promenade at the center of the road includes gnarled trees with twisted roots climbing up the trunks, pedestrian paths, benches, bike lanes, cross walks, petanque fields, small playgrounds, metal lounge chairs, wooden benches, and coffee kiosks. Folks ride bikes, electric motorbikes, skateboards, and segways. Parents push baby strollers while walking dogs. Caregivers slowly walk with senior citizens. Classically, dogs pause to check each other out, giving people a chance to start conversation. I handed out business cards to the more gregarious dog lovers. Trashcans stocked with poop bags line the promenade. The city facilitates dog owners doing the right thing and picking up after their dogs.

Gan Meir gifts dogs with soft dirt for digging, space for running off leash, and water fountains and bowls. The park gives a sense of communal ownership of all of the dogs. The variety of dog breeds, colors, and sizes astounds me, and it interests me to observe how dogs behave with each other, claiming dominance with humping and wrestling. I often study a Hebrew textbook while Oscar plays free, and I can practice speaking Hebrew with the more patient Israelis. We can laugh about the frolicking dogs kicking up dirt at us. This park definitely gives me a sense of belonging as a tourist/local. Even better, whenever anyone asks why I moved to Israel, I can credit Oscar.

Families with young children play in the sunken garden at Habima Square in the daytime. In the evenings skaters wearing bright blue lights race on the smooth concrete surface. I like to bring my students to the wooden terrace for English lessons while sitting with the dog and listening to classical music. We watch the rollerbladers and bike riders circle around us. Oscar sometimes whines on the leash so I let him loose to wander the cacti garden. I just watch out that he does not dig up the flowerbeds. He returns to me when summoned in a joyful voice.

Each day with dogs I return home feeling fulfilled. Thank you, Oscar the dog, for introducing me to Tel Aviv. I look forward to many more walks with you.