Skip to main content

John Legend: True Colors


The Free Dictionary defines the English idiom "to show true colors" as "to let others see what someone or something is really like." Somebody or something can reveal the true character. 

I to show my true colors
You your
He her
She his
It its
We our
They their

Listen to John Legend perform "True Colors" for TED:

Target language: adjectives: -ed and –ing, be, delexical verbs, present simple, verbs in time clauses and if clauses

1.     bear
2.     call up
3.     know
4.     laugh
5.     lose
6.     make
7.     realize
8.     remember
9.     shine
10.  show
11.  take 

0:22 ♪ You with the sad eyes ♪ ♪ Don't be discouraged ♪ ♪ Oh, I ____________________ ♪ ♪ It’s hard to ____________________ courage ♪
0:35 ♪ In a world full of people ♪
0:37 ♪ You can ____________________ sight of it all ♪
0:40 ♪ And the darkness inside you ♪
0:43 ♪ Can ____________________ you feel so small ♪
0:45 ♪ But I see your true colors ♪
0:48 ♪ ____________________ through ♪
0:50 ♪ I see your true colors ♪
0:54 ♪ And that's why I love you ♪
0:57 ♪ So don't be afraid to let them ____________________
1:02 ♪ Your true colors ♪
1:05 ♪ True colors are beautiful ♪
1:12 ♪ Like a rainbow ♪
1:22 ♪ ____________________ me a smile, then ♪
1:26 ♪ Don't be unhappy ♪ ♪ Can't ____________________ when ♪
1:31 ♪ I last saw you ____________________
1:33 ♪ If this world ____________________ you crazy ♪
1:36 ♪ And you've taken all you can ____________________
1:38 ♪ You can ____________________ me ____________________
1:41 ♪ Because you ____________________ I'll be there ♪
1:43 ♪ And I'll see your true colors ♪
1:46 ♪ ____________________ through ♪
1:48 ♪ I see your true colors ♪
1:51 ♪ And that's why I love you ♪
1:54 ♪ So don't be afraid to let them ____________________
1:59 ♪ Your true colors ♪
2:02 ♪ True colors are beautiful ♪
2:09 ♪ Like a rainbow ♪
2:29 ♪ If this world ____________________ you crazy ♪
2:31 ♪ And you've taken all you can ____________________
2:33 ♪ You can ____________________ me ____________________
2:36 ♪ Because you ____________________ I'll be there ♪
2:37 ♪ And I'll see your true colors ♪
2:41 ♪ ____________________ through ♪
2:43 ♪ I see your true colors ♪
2:46 ♪ And that's why I love you ♪
2:48 ♪ So don't be afraid to let them ____________________
2:54 ♪ Your true colors ♪
2:56 ♪ True colors are beautiful ♪
3:02 ♪ Like a rainbow ♪
3:12 ♪ So don't be afraid to let them ____________________
3:17 ♪ True colors ♪
3:20 ♪ True colors ♪
3:22 ♪ True colors ♪ ♪ True colors are beautiful ♪
3:32 ♪ Like a rainbow ♪ (Applause) 

Discussion:
  1. Describe a positive or negative situation when something or someone revealed the true colors.
  2. What separates your casual acquaintances from your best friends?
  3. How do you and your friends know each other's true colors?