Skip to main content

The Little Mermaid: Part of Your World

When listening to English songs, be aware of the short forms and contractions of words. Then, practice pronouncing these words to speak more quickly and smoothly. This lesson greatly improves English listening comprehension:



  1. Read the common contractions in the Enchanted Learning list out loud.
  2. Read the Little Mermaid's "Part of Your World" lyrics out loud.
  3. Listen for the contractions in the song.
  4. Write the full words of the short forms and contractions.
  5. Sing the song out loud. 
Look at this stuff, isn't it neat?
Wouldn't you think my collection's complete?
Wouldn't you think I'm the girl
The girl who has everything?
Look at this trove, treasures untold
How many wonders can one cavern hold?
Lookin’ around here you'd think
Sure, she's got everything
I've got gadgets and gizmos a plenty
I've got whozits and whatzits galore
You want thingamabobs? I've got twenty!
But who cares? No big deal,
I want more
I wanna be where the people are
I wanna see, wanna see them dancin’
Walkin’ around on those
What do you call 'em? Oh, feet
Flippin’ your fins you don't get too far
Legs are required for jumpin’, dancin’
Strollin’ along down a
What's that word again?
Street
Up where they walk, up where they run
Up where they stay all day in the sun
Wanderin’ free
Wish I could be, part of that world
What would I give if I could live
Out of these waters?
What would I pay to spend a day
Warm on the sand?
Betcha' on land, they understand
Bet they don't reprimand their daughters
Bright young women, sicka swimmin’
Ready to stand
I'm ready to know what the people know
Ask 'em my questions
And get some answers
What's a fire and why does it - what's the word?
Burn?
When's it my turn?
Wouldn't I love, love to explore that shore up above?
Out of the sea
Wish I could be
Part of that world


Write the contractions, short forms, and full words:

betcha' bet you
collection's collection is
dancin' dancing
don't do not
don't do not
em them
flippin' flipping
I'm I am
I've got I have got
isn't is not
jumpin' jumping
lookin' looking
she's got she has got
sicka sick of
strollin' strolling
swimmin'  swimming
walkin' walking
wanderin' wandering
wanna want to
what's what is
what's what is
whatzit what is it?
when's when is
whozit whose is it?
wouldn't would not
you'd you would