Skip to main content

Ron Finley: A guerilla gardener in South Central LA

Gardening is my graffiti.
- Ron Finley, 2013
Ron Finley describes his guerilla gardening as a defiant, therapeutic, and artistic way to beautify and bring nourishing food -- fruits, vegetables, and beans -- to his neighborhood in South Central LA. This English lesson gives my Turkish students listening practice with the African American accent and cadence of a hopeful gardener and designer, Mr. Finley.

Personally, I would like to garden more at home in Istanbul. Parsley, dill, mint, green onions, garlic, and strawberries grows the best in direct sunlight. Arugula grows well in the shade in the garden. What would you like to grow in Istanbul?




green onions

strawberries

parsley, dill, garlic

arugula
Listen to his TED talk and fill in the gaps with the following vocabulary:
  • access
  • affect
  • artist
  • canvass
  • citation
  • complain
  • composition
  • curable disease
  • defiant
  • desert
  • dialysis
  • drive by
  • drive thru
  • fast food
  • fix
  • food
  • forest
  • free
  • garden
  • graffiti
  • grow
  • hell
  • ill effects
  • land
  • lawn
  • liquor store
  • lot
  • maintain
  • money
  • obesity rate
  • own
  • parkway
  • pesticide
  • petition
  • plant
  • plant
  • problem
  • responsibility
  • round trip
  • seed
  • soil
  • solution
  • strawberry
  • sunflower
  • therapeutic
  • tired
  • tool
  • used cars
  • vacant
  • walk
  • warrant
  • wheel chair
0:15 I live in South Central. This is South Central: ____________________, ____________________, ____________________.
0:28 So the city planners, they get together and they figure they're going to change the name South Central to make it represent something else, so they change it to South Los Angeles, like this is going to __________what's really going wrong in the city. This is South Los Angeles. (Laughter) ____________________, ____________________, ____________________.
0:51 Just like __________million other Americans, I live in a ____________________, South Central Los Angeles, home of the __________-__________and the __________-__________. Funny thing is, the __________-__________are killing more people than the __________-__________. People are dying from ____________________in South Central Los Angeles. For instance, the ____________________in my neighborhood is __________times higher than, say, Beverly Hills, which is probably eight, 10 miles away.
1:23 I got __________of seeing this happening. And I was wondering, how would you feel if you had no __________to healthy __________, if every time you walk out your door you see the ____________________that the present __________ system has on your neighborhood? I see __________bought and sold like ____________________. I see __________centers popping up like Starbucks. And I figured, this has to stop. So I figured that the __________is the __________. __________ is the __________and __________ is the __________. Plus I got __________of driving 45 minutes ____________________to get an apple that wasn't impregnated with __________.
2:07 So what I did, I __________a ____________________in front of my house. It was on a strip of land that we call a __________. It's __________feet by __________feet. Thing is, it's __________by the city. But you have to __________it. So I'm like, "Cool. I can do whatever the __________ I want, since it's my __________and I gotta __________it." And this is how I decided to __________it.
2:34 So me and my group, L.A. Green Grounds, we got together and we started __________my ____________________, fruit trees, you know, the whole nine, vegetables. What we do, we're a pay-it-forward kind of group, where it's composed of __________from all __________of life, from all over the city, and it's completely __________, and everything we do is __________. And the __________, it was beautiful.
2:57 And then somebody __________. The city came down on me, and basically gave me a __________saying that I had to remove my garden, which this __________was turning into a __________. And I'm like, "Come on, really? A __________for ____________________on a piece of __________that you could care less about?" (Laughter) And I was like, "Cool. Bring it." Because this time it wasn't coming up. So L.A. Times got ahold of it. Steve Lopez did a story on it and talked to the councilman, and one of the Green Grounds members, they put up a __________on Change.org, and with __________signatures, we were a success. We had a victory on our hands. My councilman even called in and said how they endorse and love what we're doing. I mean, come on, why wouldn't they? L.A. leads the United States in ____________________that the city actually __________. They ____________________square miles of ____________________. That's __________Central Parks. That's enough space to ____________________million tomato plants. Why in the __________would they not okay this? __________one __________will give you __________, ____________________. When one dollar's worth of green beans will give you __________dollars' worth of produce. It's my gospel, when I'm telling people, __________ your own __________. __________your own __________is like printing your own __________.
4:38 See, I have a legacy in South Central. I __________up there. I raised my sons there. And I refuse to be a part of this manufactured reality that was manufactured for me by some other people, and I'm manufacturing my own reality.
4:56 See, I'm an __________. __________is my __________. I __________my art. Just like a ____________________, where they beautify walls, me, I beautiful __________, __________. I use the __________, the __________, like it's a piece of cloth, and the __________and the trees, that's my embellishment for that cloth. You'd be surprised what the __________could do if you let it be your __________. You just couldn't imagine how amazing a __________is and how it __________people.
5:34 So what happened? I have witnessed my __________become a __________for the education, a __________for the transformation of my neighborhood. To change the community, you have to change the __________of the __________. We are the __________. You'd be surprised how kids are __________by this. __________is the most __________and __________act you can do, especially in the inner city. Plus you get __________.