Skip to main content

Turkish Whatsapp

What's up?
Ne haber?

Whatsapp proves an incredibly popular and useful communication tool. My Turkish students actually introduced me to this app, and now I
arrange almost all of our English lessons in Istanbul this way. After reading a few of my chat transcripts, I noticed how this technology raises expectations for (1) immediate contact, (2) wide availability, and (3) flexibility to change both the time and location of meetings at a minute's notice. Maybe a phone call would be faster but who receives or gives phone calls anymore? Instead of phone calls or SMS, almost everyone writes on Whatsapp from smartphones. This either speeds up or slows down communication, depending on the person's proclivity to act on their words.



Nothing beats free. And that's the primary reason to use services like Whatsapp and Viber because they just require a WIFI or 3g connection. When someone calls or sends me an SMS, I can add them to my contacts. Then, if they have a Whatsapp account, the green icon pops up. Anyone who doesn't have Whatsapp or Viber probably lacks a smartphone. Secondly, Whatsapp lines up all of the conversations in a vertical scroll-down list: beauty in simplicity. I also like to pepper my chats with a variety of images. Thirdly, as I joke with my sister, Whatsapp is a stalker's dream because the symbols satisfy our desire to know when someone's online: a clock indicates that the message entered has not been sent due to no network connection, the single check mark shows that the message was sent but not seen, and the double check mark confirms that the message was sent and seen. For recipients, this makes it difficult to ignore a message without being obvious. Hopefully, the sender accepts the person may be busy. But I would not be surprised if the service later creates the option to hide this information on availability.


Basically, Whatsapp allows me to give Turks an opportunity to practice English and functional communication skills. For example
, we get in touch, set a time, arrange meetings, discuss needs and goals, consider lessons, reschedule lessons, keep in touch, and give thanks. Here I attempt to translate a list of Turkish phrases found in Whatsapp chats. After relying quite heavily on Google Translate, I expect mistakes so please comment to improve the quality of this Turkish-English translation. Thanks, and I hope to write to you on Whatsapp soon!



Get in touch
Cep telefonum xxx-xxx-xxxx My cellphone is xxx-xxx-xxxx
Whatsapp numaram xxx-xxx-xxxx My whatsapp number is xxx-xxx-xxxx
İsterseniz arayabilirim If you like, I can call
İstersen şimdi arayın Call us now if you like
Ben arkadaşımı numaranı ve mail adresini vereceğim I'll give you my friend's number and e-mail address
Mailim americanistanbul@gmail.com My e-mail is americanistanbul@gmail.com
Telefon numaran bende kayıtlı I registered your phone number
Mailini de aldım teşekkür ederim Thank you, I got your mail
Müsait misiniz? Are you available?
Müsaitim I'm available
Müsaitsen arayabilir miyim 5 dakika içinde? Can I call you within 5 minutes if you are available?
Boş zamanı var mı? Do you have free time?
Iyi akşamlar Good evening
Görüşmek üzere See you
Görüşürüz Bye
Günaydın Good morning
Konuşabiliriz We can talk
Numara çıkmadı tanıyamadım desem I did not recognize the number
Telefonda konuştuğumuz üzere 2 kişi ders almak istiyoruz As we talked on the phone, we have two people who want to take lessons
Orda misiniz? Are you there?
Set a time
Ne zaman? When?
Ne zaman istersen? When do you want?
Hangi günü? Which day?
Çalısma günleri mi? Workdays?
Zamanında olacak I will be on time
Geç kaldım I am late
Daha sonra Later
Daha erken Earlier
Başlangıcı gelecek hafta için yapalım o zaman Let's do it starting next week then
Perşembe Cuma il dışındayım I'm out of town on Thursday, Friday
Muhtemelen geç biter It probably ends late
1600 dan sonra da olabilir After 1600 is possible
Yarın müsait olursan Tomorrow if you are available
Yarın uygun değilse Tomorrow may not be possible
Ajandanız nasil gözüküyor öncelikle First, how does your calendar look?
İlk etapta ajandalar uygun olur mu? In the first place, is the schedule suitable?
Vakit ayıramıyoruz I do not have time
Boş zamanım yok I do not have free time
Dersane başına geliyor A tutor comes
Bu akşam İstanbul'dayım ancak akşam toplantım var I'm in Istanbul this evening but I have a meeting this evening
18:30 da Taksim'de At 18:30 in Taksim
Arrange meetings
Bende ders veriyorum I'm also giving lessons
İlk dersimiz için 17'si akşamı nasıl? How about our first lesson on the evening on the 17th?
Pazartesi uygun olurum Monday would suit me
Toplam Cumartesi Pazar dahil Include Saturday and Sunday
Bizde 5 dk ya ordayız We'll be there in 5 min
Evet, gelecekler Yes, they will come
Senide bekleriz I'll wait for you
Randevu için tekrar haberleşiriz We will communicate again for an appointment
Nerede? Where?
Nerede istersen? Where do you want?
Hangi yer? Which location?
Yerini konuşuyor musunuz? Do you speak of the location?
Kalacak yerim var I have a place to stay
Beşiktaş şuan I'm in Beşiktaş now
Tribeca'da olurum I'll be in Tribeca
Kadıköy tarafındayım I'm in Kadikoy
Resim dersleri atölyelerim var I have drawing lessons at my workshops
Taksim'de Kadıköy'de Bakırköy'de dilerseniz bu üç dersaneyi boş günlerinde kullanabilirsiniz If you wish you can use these three classrooms in Taksim, Bakirköy, and Kadikoy on empty days
Evime hoş geldiniz Welcome to my home
İşyerimiz Maslak ta Our workplace is at Maslak
Metro ile Gayrettepeden binip İtü durağında inerseniz If you like, ride the metro to the ITU stop from Gayreteppe
Plazar çıkışından kolay gelebilirsiniz You can come easily from the Plaza exit
Starbucks diye konuşmuştuk? Did we say Starbucks?
Yeri bulabildin mi? Did you find the place?
Moda'da oturuyorsunuz değil mi? You're living in Moda, right?
Biz çalışıyoruz işe yakın olursak iyi olur We're working so closer to work is better
Starbucks'a gelebilirseniz uygundur bizim için If you could come to Starbucks, it would be appropriate for us
Buradan işe geçeceğiz tekrar From here we'll be go back to work again
Burası Here
Geliyoruz We're coming
Ne zaman ve nerede isterseniz? When and where do you want?
Bugün Maslak'ta senin için uygunsa 1600 gibi görüşebiliriz If you are available, we may meet at 1600 today in Maslak
Kadıköy'de Cuma günü 2100'da bile görüşebiliriz sizin için de uygun olursa We can meet at 2100 on Friday in Kadıköy if it's suitable for you
Çarşamba Nişantaşı'nda gelsem dersin sonrasında görüşebilir miyiz? If I come after your lesson on Wednesday in Nişantaşı, can we meet?
Geldiğinizde haber verirseniz bizde oradayız hemen buluşabiliriz If you notify us when you come, we'll be there and meet
Discuss needs and goals
Ben sana benim ihtiyacimi anlatayım I'll tell you my needs
Hedef bir iş görüşmesinde The target is to express myself in a job interview/business conversation
Kendimi ifade edecek yabancı dil seviyesine ulaşmak Achieve the level of foreign language to express myself
Okullarda İngilizce öğrendik ama başka diller hiç yok We learned English in school, but there are never any other languages
Kendimi geliştirmek istiyorum I want to improve myself
Duruma göre ararım What I'm looking for depends on the situation
Yeni bir teklif var There is a new offer
Raporlayacağım müdür Hintli ve Türkçe bilmiyor The director I am going to report to is Indian and does not speak Turkish
Yabancı müşterilerile konuş, dinle ve anlam Talk, listen and understand foreign guests
Müdürle iletişim İngilizce Have contact with departments using English
İle ilgili bilgi vermek rapor hazırlamak Prepare a report to give information
Rapor yorumlamak Interpret reports
Strateji anlatmak Explain strategy
Evet faydalı olabilir Yes, it may be useful
Iş sorumluluklarını açıklamak Explain job responsibilities
Hedefler yapmak Make targets
Ne gerek uygulama What you need is practice
Hazırlamak Prepare
İhtiyaç Need
Amaç Purpose
Ajanda Agenda
Pratik Practice
Bana model olacak bayanları yönlendirebilirsin Direct the ladies who want to become models to me
Seyahat ediyorum ve yazısıyorum I am traveling and I write
Biraz biliyorum ama çok az I know a little but very few
İngilizce temelimiz var We have basic English
Benim kendi işyerim var I have my own business
Çok arkadaş beraber çalışıyoruz We are working with a lot of friends
O orda kullanacak He will use it there
3 hafta içinde hizlandirilmis bir desteğe ihtiyacim var I need accelerated support for the next 3 weeks
Kelime bilgimin de iyi olduğunu düşünüyorum I think my vocabulary is good
Evet İngilizce lazım Yes, I need English
Ama profesyonel İngilizce şart değil But not necessarily professional English
Temel eğitim seviyem yüksek değil My basic education level is not high
ticaret trade
Consider English lessons
Bilgi vermenizi rica ederim I would like you to provide information please
Sence neler yapabiliriz? What would you do?
Nasıl uyguluyorsunuz programa bir? How do you carry out a program?
Kaç saatlik ders almamız yeterli olabilir? How many hours can be enough to take the course?
Hangi gün ve saatlerde İngilizce dersi vermek için uygunsunuz? Which days and hours are you available for giving English lessons?
Referans olarak görüşebileceğimiz kişi var midir? Are there people we can meet as a reference?
Görüşüp nasıl bir işbirliği yapabiliriz? Can we discuss how we can cooperate?
Şartlarınız nedir? What are your terms and conditions?
Ücretle ilgili bir değişiklik (indirim) söz konusu olabilir mi? Is a change of the fee (discount), question, possible?
Ücreti telefonda Charge given on the phone
Ders için kendi adıma param yetmeyecek önce kazanmalıyız I have to earn money before I will have enough for the course
Işlerimi de ona göre ayarlarım I will set my business accordingly
Başlangıç seviyesinden başlayarak günlük İngilizce konuşabilecek kadar (orta seviyeye kadar) almamız yeterli olacak Starting from the initial level, it will be enough to speak everyday English (mid- level)
Daha öz olduğunuz derslerden yola çıkarak Based on the lessons that are more individual
Tahmini ne kadar sürede orta seviyeye gelebiliriz? Can you estimate how much time it takes us to to get to a medium level?
Bizler gibi başlangıç seviyesinde sizden eğitim almış We would like to be trained at the initial level
Belirtmiştiniz You have specified
Var olması gereken her şey There are always things that need to be
Ben haftada 3 saat almak istiyorum I want to get 3 hours per week
Söylediklerini alternatif olarak değerlendireceğiz We will consider what you said as an alternative
Henüz karar vermedik We have not decided yet
Karar aşamasında bunları tekrar konuşuruz We will talk about these again at the decision stage
Vermiş olduğunuz bilgiler doğrultusunda tekrar değerlendireceğiz Based on the information you have provided we will re-evaluate
Olur bunun kararını henüz vermedik fakat öncesinde hakkında bilgi almak istedik We have not decided but wanted to get information about this
Karar verdiğimizde sana olumlu yada olumsuz bilgi vereceğim When we have decided; we will give you either the affirmative or negative response
Olumlu yada olumsuz sana mutlaka haber vereceğim Positive or negative, I will give you the news
Reschedule English lessons
Biz şu anda durdurmaya karar verdik We decided to stop at the moment
Bu hafta denetleme var rapor hazırlıyoruz o nedenle ders yapmayacağız We are preparing audit reports this week so that's why we will not do the lesson.
Yapmayacağız I will not do it.
Ders erteledi The lesson is postponed
Ders iptal oldu The lesson is canceled
Ders ertelemek lazım I need to postpone the lesson
Ders iptal olmak lazım I need to cancel the lesson
Erteleyelim bugünkü buluşmayı Adjourn today's meeting
Ofiste çalışabilirim yine I may work at the office
Keep in touch
Bir aksilik olmaz ise yetişirim I'll let you know if there's a mishap.
Görüşmek zor gözüküyor It seems difficult to meet
Aklıma bir fikir geldi An idea came to my mind
Cevap verir He responds
Olur mu diye soruyor? Does he ask?
Olur mu? Is that okay?
Olabilir miyim? May I?
O sana öğrenci bulur He finds you students
Tekrar ingilizce öğrenmek istersek seninle paylaşırız We will contact you if we want to learn English again
Yanlış anlaşıldı sanırım? I think it was misunderstood?
Kusura bakma Excuse me
Kusura bakmayın Excuse me
Özür dilerim Sorry
Üzgünüm Sorry
Maalesef It's too bad
Özür dilerim Sorry
Afedersin Sorry
Afedersiniz Sorry
Sorun değil It's not a problem
Problem yok No problem
Sakin ol Calm down
Rahat ol Relax
Üzülmeyin Don't worry
Öyleyse Then
Farketmez It does not matter
Tamamdır It's OK
Devam ediyor It continues
Özet olarak durum budur In summary this is the case
zevki mevki position of enjoying
esnek flexible
dürüst olmak to be honest
Thanks
Teşekkürler Thanks
Teşekkür ederim Thank you
Saç kesimin yakışmış Your haircut suits you
Saç kesimin güzel olmuş Nice haircut
İlgine teşekkürler Thanks for your interest