Skip to main content

5 Questions for the Vancouver Health Crawl

On an overcast Saturday morning, I bike to the Vancouver Health Crawl, a local wellness brands social and market organized by the Entrepreneurs in Health & Fitness on April 22, 2017. I am excited to learn as much as possible from the food, health, and fitness entrepreneurs. Brimming with curiosity, I prepare 5 questions for the Vancouver Health Crawl.
Expecting rain, I wear bike pants and a bright orange jacket to be more visible for the 16-km round trip between Kitsilano and Downtown Vancouver. I carry spare clothes of black leggings and a wool zipper dress to slip into at the event. The cherry blossoms and magnolia trees pop with hues of pink against the grey skies. I coast down the bike lanes and along the water for a super chill ride. It’s my first bike ride all the way to Gastown.
Feeling pumped, I arrive energetic, proactive, and inquisitive. The event introduces me to the folks at the MVMTLAB, Lorna Jane, and L’Atelier Coworking spaces. I speak with the entrepreneurs, vendors, and participants to learn as much as possible, and take notes of the memorable moments in my notebook. Here are my questions:

1. How can I improve my nutrition?

COOCOOBOX founders prepare bitesize squares of cauliflower coocoo. Simple and delicious, I plan to improvise cooking the dish with the ingredient list: cauliflower, onion, chickpea flour, cashews, hemp seeds, nutritional yeast, garlic, cumin, paprika, turmeric, olive oil, and avocado oil. The cauliflower gives the texture while the turmeric gives the yellow color.
Naked Snacks serves super fresh trail mixes with nuts, dried fruit, and chocolate. I try the Wholesome Yogi mix with raw almonds, roasted cashews, pumpkin seeds, Greek yogurt chips (that look like white chocolate), and dried cranberries. I like the salty Hearty Tamari with cashews, almonds, and spices. Overall, the snack inspires me to experiment mixing my own blends without salt.
Coast Cricket Protein serves morsels of sweet peanut butter and chocolate energy bars. After tasting the protein bars made with peanut and cricket flour, I still do not know what crickets taste like. Perhaps the peanut butter, honey, and chocolate overpower the cricket flavor. I can understand that the flour gently introduces the concept of eating insects. Marketing crickets as food to Westerners may indeed require masking the textures and flavors of the insect. That seems rather low key though. As a more adventurous eater, I feel ready now to take on the full flavor and texture of each bite. One day I may be open to foraging for insects as well. Paprika crickets, chocolate-covered ants, and sriracha earthworms, anyone? Hakuna matata!
The Body Energy Club brings an entire smoothie bar with mini 2 oz bottles. I like the swampy green energy shot, which contains orange, carrot, spirulina, chlorella, and ginseng. The B12 shot, which contains B12 complex and orange juice, tastes like a yummy, syrupy medicine. The ingredient lists inspire me to try blending my own energy shots for friends and family at home.
Vytogo offers smoothie samples with hemp protein, chlorella, moringa, and sea buckthorn berry. These four ingredients deliver full spectrum nutrition with bio-active vitamins, minerals, and amino acids. Tasting the smoothie mix allows me to travel the world through my stomach. I have the great pleasure to speak with both co-founders Sebastian Roberts and Dan Nesbitt. They source the purest ingredients worldwide with moringa from Ecuador, seabuck thorn berry from Tibet, chlorella from Asia, and hemp seeds from Canada. Seabuck thorn berry now grows in the Okanagan. Does the blueberry have some competition? Of course, all berries reign supreme. Sebastian gives a brief talk about delivering powerhouse nutrition through bioavailability. I learn that chlorella, unlike spirulina, has bioavailable B12. Hemp seeds boast Edestin protein.
Biota Fermentation offers carrot, beet, and cabbage sauerkraut. They ferment the veggies in lactic acid, not vinegar. I ask the co-founder James Kidd how to make my own kombucha, and he recommends the starter kits at from Hoochy ‘Booch.
Amai Vegan Treats makes decadent delights with all natural ingredients. The talented Jillian Aiken passionately makes fresh blueberry lemon, chocolate caramel, and pumpkin spice cheesecakes. My mouth starts watering just writing about these feel good, dairy-free desserts. I may order some for the upcoming Jewish holiday of Shavuot.

2. How can I improve my fitness?

Dr. Jeff Almon, the owner and chiropractor of MVMTLAB, introduces me to the basic concepts of functional neurology and neural plasticity. Learning infant movement patterns resets the brain and nervous system. Neurological change takes 20-30 days of movement practice.
Tantra Fitness connects the mind and body to poles and silks. I would like to try the Intro to Aerial Arts beginners class with a friend. It sounds fun to become CirqueFit.

3. How can I improve my wellness?

Alyssa Huang, a registered acupuncturist, places an acupressure bead in my inner ear valley. She recommends daily ear massages to ward off stress and insomnia. I can swap out the ear bead every 3-4 days for daily acupressure. Acupuncture can benefit prenatal and postnatal care.
Stress results in inflammation. Laura-Jean Anderson of doTERRA gives a presentation about stress reduction through essential oils. Essential oils are the plants’ immune system as they hold anti-fungal and anti-viral properties. Breathing deeply allows the oil particle to enter the lungs and blood circulation. Essential oils combined with nutrition and breathing can combat stress. Frankincense oxygenates cells and permeates the blood brain barrier for anti-inflammation. Oregano oil, nature’s antibiotic, promotes gastrointestinal health. Lavender oil heals burns and helps with sleep. Peppermint oil improves focus and blood flow. When traveling, use peppermint oil to wake up and lavender oil to fall asleep to beat jet lag faster. I realize that when I walk through the forest, I am breathing the aromatic tree oils. The talk makes me want to stop and smell the flowers.
Cold therapy speeds up recovery time for athletes, improves sleep quality, and increases collagen production. Ruby Banipal introduces Cryo as cold therapy for recovery and rejuvenation. Liquid nitrogen cools the air in a booth. Flash chilling the skin for 2 minutes rushes blood to the organs for survival. When warmth returns, the blood rushes back to the skin. Cryo therapists must carefully regulate the temperature and time of each chill session with a minimum of 2 minutes and a maximum of 3 minutes to prevent dry ice burns, like the beginning of frostbite. After listening to the talk, I realize that I should take more cold showers and ocean swims to liven up blood circulation.

4. What challenges do wellness entrepreneurs face in Vancouver?

Startups face the (fun!) challenges of marketing, sales, and distribution. These small businesses aim to sell directly to consumers through online delivery and enter stores. Word of mouth marketing, online ordering and delivery, and simple websites with friendly user interfaces are the ideal. The entrepreneurs tell me that most Canadians, unlike Americans, prefer to shop at stores instead of online. New products face tough competition to enter stores. The food delivery startups, for example, offer discounts on their websites to encourage online shopping. The small market size in Vancouver, Canada, also makes it a challenge to sell volume. Eventually, some of the startups may expand to the US. Of course, products containing certain ingredients, such as hemp, may face greater obstacles doing so.

5. How can startups practice social and environmental justice?

Vytogo contributes to social and environmental justice. As far as I can tell, each purchase supports permaculture projects in Uganda that distribute moringa to orphanages. Moringa seed cakes purify water, too.
Karmabitez upcycles juice pulp to make thin crackers. The zero waste practice of ingredient upcycling reduces food waste at the manufacturer level. Hopefully, Karmabitez co-founders Jollia and Tiffany inspire more companies to upcycle ingredients and prevent food waste. They may hold zero waste recipe workshops. I would like to contribute recipes on upcycling almond pulp for puddings.

Thank you for the #HealthCrawl @ehfvancouver!

I greatly appreciate meeting everyone at this special event. I would like to adopt more of these practices into my lifestyle. This week I can focus on cooking coocoo, mixing nuts and dried fruit with spices, and ordering a starter kit for kombucha. I would also like to try out classes at the MVMTLAB and Tantric Fitness. Last of all, I need to suck it up and take cold showers. I guess I can reward myself with an ear massage. Thanks to everyone for teaching me so much!