Skip to main content

How to interview

Turkish business professionals often seek English lessons to advance their careers.  Many would like to speak in English at meetings with international clients.  Some would like to work for a multinational company.  Recently, many of my lessons focus on how to interview for a job.  I recommend my students bring their resume for real life practice.

As a teacher, I usually play the role of interviewer.  However, I like to encourage my students to interview me, too!  Be the interviewer to think about the questions you would ask a candidate.  Then, prepare for these questions.  Most importantly, enjoy the questions and have fun!

Interviews mostly focus on the why and how of the job change:
  1. How did you perform in previous experience?
  2. Why would you like the new job?
  3. How would you contribute to the new position?
My student E. would like to work as a manager in a multinational company.  In preparation for the interview we practice responding to questions:
What are your strengths?
This question actually asks:
3. How would you contribute to the new position?
Here is E.'s response after practice:
I complete the widest research.  I always check the facts.  For example, I'm familiar with demanding clients who expect immediate answers. I would give a brief answer.  Next, I would quickly perform research and return for a more in-depth answer. 
Next, the interviewer asks:
Are you ready for the challenges of this position?
This question actually asks:
2. Why would you like the new job?
Here is E.'s response after practice:
Through my previous experience as an advisor I already fully understand international standards.  I would like to work in a multinational company because I enjoy high standards of job performance.  I would also like opportunities for career advancement.  The new company would not need to spend too much additional time training me because of my previous experience.
Psychology Today considers this question the most important interview question.  Here are more questions to practice:
1) So what do you want to be doing in five years?
2) Please describe your favorite project.
3) What is your best and worst attribute?
4) How do you handle stress?
5) How would your last boss/co-workers describe you?
Write your answers in the comments below!