Skip to main content

Second Time Around

I consign at Second Time Around to earn additional income.  Consignors earn 40% of the final sale price and $20 for each referral*.  STA accepts items based on the season and fashion trends, not brand name.

My experience as a STA consignor has allowed me to contribute to a socially responsible, eco-friendly business.  Shoppers who purchase pre-owned items at a consignment store save the water, energy, and natural resources that go into the manufacture of brand new items.  Sold items go to new closets, not landfills.  Unsold items go to Goodwill donations.



I consign at the 324 Newbury Street store because it conveniently allows both "dropoffs" and "pickups."  Other STA locations on Newbury Street require appointments.

A "dropoff" at the store takes 5 minutes or less.  STA relies on yellow carbon copy forms to log new inventory into the store.  Consignors who create online profiles on the STA website can track their inventory and sales on their account.  On return visits the consignor simply writes their name, account number, and store number on the yellow carbon copy form.

Consignors can choose to "pickup" or "forfeit" items that STA does not accept.  I select "pickup" when I want to take back the items that STA will not not sell.  Within a couple days, a STA Staff member calls the consignor with the friendly message, "just calling to let you know that your items are ready for pickup."  Then she has three days to return to the store to pickup the "no's," or items that STA does not accept.

The other option is to "forfeit" the items.  STA has a partnership with Goodwill, and donates both the "forfeits" and the late "pickups."

I have made 12 visits to the store since I started to consign in late February 2011.  Each visit, Staff received me with professional courtesy.  Staff surprised me when they remembered my name and offered me recommendations on what items would sell.  I sold rain boots in March, and skirts and dresses in April.  I followed my inventory and sales online.  I began to feel like a partner in a business.

Consigning and giving away clothes makes me more interested in fashion.  I have started to observe the local street fashion more closely.  White t-shirts with navy blue stripes, lace skirts, and preppy cardigans are fashionable in Boston.  With the late Spring this year, it's still too early to bring out the sandals.

*If you would like to open an account at any store location, feel free to mention me as a referral with my name "Rebecca Loewenstein" and store "324 Newbury Street, Boston, Massachusetts."  Thanks!